Sunday 5 February 2012

Jacked off with Jakarta

A rather sudden departure from Kuala Lumpur was in itself a good thing. I’d got to wasting away the days, achieving little, seeing less. In fact the intended delight of a shopping frenzy never fully materialized. And it wasn’t for the lack of opportunity! The place it packed full with enormous shopping malls, too many in fact, you’re spoilt for choice. I couldn’t have even touched the surface, whatever the goods I had in mind. Neither was it difficult to get around, the monorail and metro systems are quick and efficient ways to get around; they’re also dirt cheap. The main drawback is the crowds, it seems that anywhere worth shopping in are packed. While the western world is undergoing a recession the east is in a spending frenzy. The amount of money I see people pulling out their pockets is unbelievable. Every bank of ATMs has a steady stream of eager shoppers punching in their number and drawing out their piles of paper. Huge wads of cash are produced when they make even quite small purchases; sometimes I wonder if it’s the show that counts. (Photo: Future of the Islands - Batam dock, Riu Islands, Indonesia)

Jakarta is no different, it’s just busier, which I didn’t think possible. Has the world gone mad, consumerism has taken over. What the west had the east is now desperate to have even more of, western goods are in high demand. The crafty thing is naming goods with similar names to quality western brands, but originals are the most desirable. They aren’t cheap either, many clothes I looked at I can buy as cheap at home. Europe may have curbed its spending spree, but Asia seems more than capable of taking over. The tide has turned, if any of you had any doubt about the up and coming financial clout of previously third world countries forget it. The decadence of architecture here is phenomenal, big shiny monstrosities litter the skyline. There’s no shortage of investment in capital cities. Transport systems are improving rapidly, mega bucks are being poured into developing the financial centre’s of these countries. And why not, we've had our chance and it seems that we failed to maintain our ever expanding capitalist ways. Who are we to deprive the rest of the world their opportunity to learn that expansion can only go so far? Remember our worlds resources are limited, it has to stop some time. (Photo: Clearing the last few loads - Batam dock, Riu Islands, Indonesia)

Having gone from one gargantuan city to another I’ve definitely had enough. Of course this is the problem of backpacking, relying on public transport, being taken from one transport hub to the next. No wonder I’ve always gone out my way to avoid cities, and it was so easy on a bike. I had half a mind to buy another bike on reaching Jakarta, I’ve given up that hope, simply because I can’t face staying here long enough to track down a machine. Second hand availability is elusive, and prices are stupid, I can buy a decent bike at home for less. Being quoted $800 for a five year old 125cc is more than I’m willing to consider. That is not a throw away machine, and I can’t face the rigmoral of trying to resell at a reasonable price. So my journey will have to continue relying on whatever transport is available. It’s time to lighten my load even more, I’m tired of carrying so much weight on my back. Out go my favourite, but ragged, teeshirts, in the bin go my faithful, but torn, Animal trousers. (Photo: As close as I wished to see Singapore - Leaving Batam, Riu Islands, Indonesia)

With the Indonesian Archipelago spread before me I’m on the last leg before I turn around and consider returning home. It may be a few months yet, and my mind isn’t exactly contemplating being back in North Wales, but I do feel the end is in sight. I’m getting even more critical of where I am and the people I meet, that’s not a good sign. Each new place I encounter takes a bit more to settle into, it’s easy when faced with beautiful beaches and relaxing amidst natural delights, or it should be. The tendency now is to notice the negative before appreciating the positive, that isn’t how I wish to travel. I’m still happy enough meeting the various people who cross my path, at least the locals anyway. It’s nice to meet other travelers now and again, but they seem to be wherever I go recently. A few days here and there with no other white face in sight, but it’s not enough. Maybe a bit more effort to get off the beaten track is needed, or maybe a better appreciation for whatever the world around has to offer would do just as well. (Photo: Training homing pigeons - Jakarta, Indonesia)

The dulcet tones drift across the rooftops, a soothing, melodic call to prayers. It beckons gently to the faithful, enticing one to enter a tranquil world, to escape the harsh realities of modern life and lose yourself in prayer. Who could resist the temptation to slip into blissful rapture? This is the promise carried on the non-existent breeze. It eases the mind, opens the heart and cleanses the soul. Suddenly an abrupt staccato shatters the peace, piercing the reverie achieved. Shouting, threatening, in direct competition with the peaceful overtures, a new crackling voice demands obeisance. Come to prayers or be damned is his message. I know which I would be drawn to, if I were so inclined. I thought worship was meant to be a heavenly endeavour, I thought it was meant to sooth the soul. How lucky that the second attempt at beckoning people to the mosque has only been heard once! It’s a pleasure to be lulled into the realms peaceful contemplation at regular intervals during the day; maybe the other Imam couldn’t handle the stress levels he invoked and blew a gasket. (Photo: Beauty within the beast - Jakarta cityscape, Indonesia)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any personal information sent via my comments facility will not be published unless deemed devoid of personal content. You can, therefore, send me contact information. Thank you!